I’ve been eating a lot of ice cream lately, partly because I’m emotional af, partly because it’s summer, and also because it seems to be everywhere I go and I honestly just can’t say no to the stuff. Recently I was watching KUWTK (whatever, I miss LA okay?) and Kim was all “I’m avoiding my friend because all he does is eat and I eat what he eats and I’m just losing control” and then it showed a clip of her going “Popcorn ice cream? Let’s try it.” Same, girl.
Also, I’ve been inspired by lavender lately. The house I’m staying at until I can move in to my new apartment (round 2 for the win, am I right?) has fresh lavender plants all over and I’ve wanted to cook or bake with it for some time. Naturally, my mind went to lavender ice cream. And then I thought “lavender ice cream with dark chocolate cookies” (see previous post). So here we are.
In my book, you can best enjoy these treats together in two ways: with the ice cream scooped and the cookie as a garnish, or with the ice cream sandwiched between two chocolate cookies. The latter is my absolutely superior, in my opinion.
I used a recipe I got from Sue La Table, with a few modifications.
HONEY LAVENDER ICE CREAM
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
purple food coloring
1. Bring cream, milk, honey, and lavender to boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Remove the pan from heat and let it steep, covered, for 30 minutes.
2. Pour cream mixture through fine mesh sieve and trash the lavender. Pour cream into a new saucepan and heat again over low.
3. In a different bowl, whisk together the eggs and salt. Slowly add the eggs to the milk and stir constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Pour custard through fine mesh sieve again. Add purple food coloring until lavender color is achieved.
5. Place custard in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer instructions.
6. Scoop and enjoy!