“Hey, Lydia, did you make this just because it kind of looks like the Irish flag?”
You betcha! Honestly a kind of weird flavor pairing, caramel and matcha. I know. But I like caramel lattes and I like matcha lattes so why the hell not? Plus, yeah, it looks like the Irish flag and that’s freaking awesome.
Let me be honest here: the first time I made this I gagged, it was so gross. Not because the combination was gross, but each layer was individually gross. I don’t blame Like the caramel was too cold and the coconut milk came from a can so it was chunky and the matcha wasn’t sweet enough and was too grimy. Gross. Shit, I’m really selling you on this, huh?!
Then I tried again and it was waaaaay better. So much better than I didn’t scrap the idea completely and I even photographed it and wrote about it here. Please trust me. It worked.
I learned that the caramel should be hot and gooey when it goes in the glass. It will incorporate easier that way and will eventually chill down with all the ice and other cold stuff. I learned to be a normal person and buy Pop & Bottle vanilla almond milk, which is naturally sweetened with dates and not at all chunky, to make the middle and top layers. I learned that caramel and matcha actually taste really fun together. I learned how to make caramel! It’s essentially burning coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla together in a pot, which cracks me up. Maybe you’ll learn some stuff too if you try.
Caramel Matcha Latte (alternatively named Irish Flag over Ice hehehe)
Make the caramel sauce first:
- Pour one can of full-fat coconut milk (make sure it contains guar gum) into a saucepan, add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature so it simmers.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stir occasionally and make sure you get the burned part of the bottom combined with the rest. Apparently this is what causes the classic caramel color!
- Once it is thiiiick and gooey and beautiful take it off the heat and set aside to cool a little (as mentioned above, I think it is way better NOT cold).
Make the matcha layer:
- Pour 5oz vanilla Pop and Bottle milk into blender.*
- Add 1/2 tbsp of high quality matcha powder.*
- Add a teensy bit of sugar if you need it sweetened more. But I wouldn’t because the milk is already sweetened and don’t forget about that caramel!
- Put warm caramel at bottom of glass, add some ice cubes.
- Pour whatever you had leftover of the Pop and Bottle after making the matcha layer over caramel.
- Pour matcha layer on top!
- Add a golden straw if you’re a full on leprechaun like me, and then stir and enjoy!
*I just want to talk about Pop and Bottle milk here because I love it so freaking much. I’ve shown it multiple times on Instagram and if you follow me you know I 100% believe it’s the very best. It’s dairy free almond milk that is only sweetened using dates and cacao. It’s thick and delicious and perfect for drinking alone (which I do frequently), or adding to coffee or espresso to make lattes. I have driven 30 minutes in LA traffic to pick this milk up because #iamcrazy.
* Make sure it’s high quality. Low quality matcha powder tastes like sawdust and makes me sad.
And the March Madness continues!